- The definition of a retrieve is a return of a ball that is difficult to get to in tennis.
An example of retrieve is a tennis move that Serena Williams is capable of making.
- Retrieve is defined as to find and bring or to bring back or restore, whether physically or mentally.
- An example of retrieve is for a dog to bring a bone back to his owner after the owner threw the bone into the air.
- An example of retrieve is to recover lost files on a computer.
retrieve definition by Webster's New World
- to get back; recover
- to restore; revive: to retrieve one's spirits
- to rescue or save
- to set right or repair (a loss, error, etc.); make good
- to recall to mind
- ☆ Comput. to gain access to (data) that is on a floppy disk, hard drive, etc.
- Hunting to find and bring back (killed or wounded small game): said of dogs
- Racket Sports to return (a ball that is hard to reach)
Origin: Middle English retreven ; from inflected stem of Old French retrouver ; from re-, again plush trouver, to find: see trover
- any retrieval
- ☆ a retrieving of the ball in tennis, etc.
- retrievable adjective
retrieve definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb re·trieved, re·triev·ing, re·trieves verb, transitive
- To get back; regain.
- a. To rescue or save.b. Sports To make a difficult but successful return of (a ball or shuttlecock, as in tennis or badminton).
- To bring back again; revive or restore.
- To rectify the unfavorable consequences of; remedy. See Synonyms at recover.
- To recall to mind; remember.
- To find and carry back; fetch.
- The act of retrieving; retrieval.
- Sports A difficult but successful return of a ball or shuttlecock.
Origin: Middle English retreven, from Old French retrover, retruev- : re-, re- + trover, to find; see trover.
- re·trievˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- re·trievˈa·ble adjective
- re·trievˈa·bly adverb
retrieve - Computer Definition
To call up data that has been stored in a computer system. When a user queries a database, the data are retrieved into the computer first and then transmitted to the screen.