transitive verb-·trieved′, -·triev′ing
- to get back; recover
- to restore; revive: to retrieve one's spirits
- to rescue or save
- to set right or repair (a loss, error, etc.); make good
- to recall to mind
- Comput. to gain access to (data) that is on a floppy disk, hard drive, etc.
- Hunting to find and bring back (killed or wounded small game): said of dogs
- Racket Sports to return (a ball that is hard to reach)
Origin of retrieveMiddle English retreven from inflected stem of Old French retrouver from re-, again + trouver, to find: see trover
- any retrieval
- a retrieving of the ball in tennis, etc.