- Remember is defined as to recall or make an effort to keep a person, event or thing in one's mind.
An example of to remember is seeing a familiar face in a crowd and suddenly knowing the person's name.
- to have (an event, thing, person, etc.) come to mind again; think of again: suddenly remembering an appointment
- to bring back to mind by an effort; recollect; recall: to try to remember a name
- to bear in mind; keep in the memory; be careful not to forget
- to keep (a person) in mind with some feeling, as of pleasure, gratitude, etc.
- to keep (a person) in mind for a present, legacy, etc.
- to give a present or tip to
- to mention (a person) to another as sending regards or greetings: remember me to your mother
- Archaic to remind
Origin: Middle English remembren from Old French remembrer from Late Latin rememorare from Classical Latin re-, back, again plush memorare, to bring to remembrance from memor, mindful: see memory
- to bear something in mind or call something back to mind
- to have memory or the use of one's memory
- rememberer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb re·mem·bered, re·mem·ber·ing, re·mem·bers verb, transitive
- a. To recall to the mind with effort; think of again: I finally remembered the address.b. To recall or become aware of suddenly or spontaneously: Then I remembered that today is your birthday.
- To retain in the memory: Remember your appointment.
- To keep (someone) in mind as worthy of consideration or recognition.
- To reward with a gift or tip.
- To give greetings from: Remember me to your family.
- Engineering To return to (an original shape or form) after being deformed or altered.
- Electronics To carry out (a programmed or preset activity).
- Archaic To remind.
Origin: Middle English remembren, from Old French remembrer, from Latin rememorārī, to remember again : re-, re- + memor, mindful; see (s)mer-1 in Indo-European roots.
- re·memˌber·a·bilˈi·ty noun
- re·memˈber·a·ble adjective
- re·memˈber·er noun
remember - Medical Definition
- To recall to the mind; think of again.
- To retain in the memory.
- To return to an original shape or form after being deformed or altered.