- The definition of commemorate means to have a ceremony or build a monument to honor a person or an event.
- Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is an example of to commemorate.
- Visiting the National September 11 Memorial is an example of to commemorate.
commemorate definition by Webster's New World
- commemorator noun
commemorate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb com·mem·o·rat·ed, com·mem·o·rat·ing, com·mem·o·rates
- To honor the memory of with a ceremony. See Synonyms at observe.
- To serve as a memorial to.
Origin: Latin commemorāre, commemorāt-, to remind : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + memorāre, to remind (from memor, mindful; see (s)mer-1 in Indo-European roots).
- com·memˈo·raˌtor noun