- The definition of commemorate means to have a ceremony or build a monument to honor a person or an event.
- Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is an example of to commemorate.
- Visiting the National September 11 Memorial is an example of to commemorate.
transitive verbcom·mem·o·rat·ed, com·mem·o·rat·ing, com·mem·o·rates
- To honor the memory of (a person or event, for example), especially with a ceremony. See Synonyms at observe.
- To serve as a memorial to: The statue commemorates the discovery of anesthesia.
Origin of commemorateLatin commemorāre, commemorāt-, to remind : com-, intensive pref.; see com– + memorāre, to remind (from memor, mindful; see (s)mer-1 in Indo-European roots).
(third-person singular simple present commemorates, present participle commemorating, simple past and past participle commemorated)
From Latin commemorare, from com- + memorare to remind of (see memory).