commemorative[kə mem′ə rə tiv′, -rāt′iv]
- The definition of commemorative is something intended to act as a memorial or as an official expression of honoring a person or an event.
When someone has died and his family donates money in the deceased person's name to create a scholarship fund to honor the deceased, this is an example of a commemorative scholarship fund.
- A commemorative is defined as a coin or other object that is made with the intent to honor or memorialize a person or an event.
A coin with the face of Abraham Lincoln that is designed to honor Lincoln is an example of a commemorative.
- Honoring or preserving the memory of another.
- Produced in limited quantities over a specific period of time to honor a special event or anniversary. Used of coins and postage stamps.
- Something that honors or preserves the memory of another.
- A commemorative coin or postage stamp.