- To douse is defined as to drench someone or something with liquid, or to quickly put out a fire.
An example of douse is when you pour a bucket of water over someone's head, soaking him with water.
douse definition by Webster's New World
- to plunge or thrust suddenly into liquid
- to drench; pour liquid over
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps douse
douse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also dowseverb doused doused also dowsed, dous·ing also dows·ing, dous·es also dows·es verb, transitive
- To plunge into liquid; immerse. See Synonyms at dip.
- To wet thoroughly; drench.
- To put out (a light or fire); extinguish.
Origin: From obsolete douse, to strike.
- dousˈer noun