Emboss is defined as to carve, or to decorate with raised designs.verb
An example of emboss is to engrave a pattern in a wooden table.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to decorate or cover with designs, patterns, etc. raised above the surface
- to carve, raise, or print (a design, etc.) so that it is raised above the surface; raise in relief
- to embellish; ornament
Origin: ME embocen < OFr embocer: see en- & boss
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb em·bossed, em·boss·ing, em·boss·es
- To mold or carve in relief: emboss a design on a coin.
- To decorate with or as if with a raised design: emboss leather.
- To adorn; decorate.
- To cover with many protuberances; stud: “The whole buoy was embossed with barnacles” (Herman Melville).
Origin: Middle English embosen, from Old French embocer : en-, in; see en-1 + boce, knob.
- em·bossˈer noun