- The definition of a grill is a device for cooking that has lines of metal bars or a place where such food is cooked.
An example of a grill is a barbecue.
- Grill is defined as to cook on a barbecue or griddle, or to ask a series of intense questions.
- An example of to grill is to cook burgers on the barbecue.
- An example of to grill is to ask a suspect questions until he finally breaks down and tells what happened.
A man cooks food on a grill for his daughter.
grill definition by Webster's New World
- a cooking unit having parallel metal bars or wires on which to broil meat or fish, as
- a portable or stationary outdoor device fueled by gas or charcoal
- an indoor unit, sometimes part of a range
- a large griddle
- grilled food
Origin: French gril ; from Old French gräil: see griddle
- to cook on a grill; broil
- to torture by applying heat
- ☆ to question relentlessly; cross-examine searchingly
Origin: Fr griller < the n.
grill definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb grilled, grill·ing, grills
- To broil on a gridiron.
- To torture or afflict as if by broiling.
- Informal To question relentlessly; cross-examine.
- To mark or emboss with a gridiron.
- A cooking surface of parallel metal bars; a gridiron.
- Food cooked by broiling or grilling.
- A grillroom.
- A series of marks grilled or embossed on a surface.
- Variant of grille.
Origin: French griller, from gril, gridiron, from Old French greille, from Latin crātīcula; see griddle.
- grillˈer noun