- The definition of a diner is a person who is eating in a restaurant, a casual roadside restaurant with booths and a counter that traditionally resembles the dining car on a train.
- A person who is having a meal at a pizza restaurant is an example of a diner.
- A casual laid-back restaurant on the roadside with a long counter, booths, a jukebox and a big menu of American food is an example of adiner.
A roadside diner.
diner definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person eating dinner
- ☆ dining car
- ☆ a small restaurant built to look like a dining car
- ☆ a small restaurant with a counter along one side and booths on the other
diner definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that dines: midnight diners enjoying the meal after the theater.
- See dining car.
- A small, usually inexpensive restaurant with a long counter and booths and housed in a building designed to resemble a dining car.