- a person entertained at the home of another; visitor
- a person entertained by another acting as host at a restaurant, theater, etc.
- any paying customer of a hotel, restaurant, etc.
- a nonmember receiving the hospitality of a club, institution, etc.
- a person who appears or performs on a program by special invitation
Origin of guestMiddle English gest from Old Norse gestr, akin to Old English gæst, German gast from Indo-European base an unverified form ghostis, stranger, guest from source Classical Latin hostis
- for guests
- performing by special invitation: a guest artist