- The definition of a guest is a person welcomed into someone's home or a customer at a restaurant or hotel.
An example of a guest is a person staying at a Holiday Inn for a few nights.
- Guest is defined as to welcome someone into the home, or to make a special appearance by invitation.
- An example of guest is to host a party and entertain attendees.
- An example of guest is to attend a party after being invited.
- a person entertained at the home of another; visitor
- a person entertained by another acting as host at a restaurant, theater, etc.
- any paying customer of a hotel, restaurant, etc.
- a nonmember receiving the hospitality of a club, institution, etc.
- a person who appears or performs on a program by special invitation
Origin of guestMiddle English gest ; from Old Norse gestr, akin to Old English gæst, German gast ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ghostis, stranger, guest from source Classical Latin hostis
- for guests
- performing by special invitation: a guest artist
- One who is a recipient of hospitality at the home or table of another.
- One to whom entertainment or hospitality has been extended by another in the role of host or hostess, as at a party.
- One who pays for meals or accommodations at a restaurant, hotel, or other establishment; a patron.
- A distinguished visitor to whom the hospitality of an institution, city, or government is extended.
- A visiting performer, speaker, or contestant, as on a radio or television program.
- Zoology A commensal organism, especially an insect that lives in the nest or burrow of another species.
verbguest·ed, guest·ing, guests
- Provided for guests: guest rooms.
- Participating as a guest: a guest conductor.
Origin of guestMiddle English gest, from Old Norse gestr; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots.
- A recipient of hospitality, specifically someone staying by invitation at the house of another.
- The guests were let in by the butler.
- A patron or customer in a hotel etc.
- Guests must vacate their rooms by 10 o'clock on their day of departure.
- An invited visitor or performer to an institution or to a broadcast.
- The guest for the broadcast was a leading footballer.
(third-person singular simple present guests, present participle guesting, simple past and past participle guested)