Ethan prefers to be a renter downtown instead of purchasing a home outside of the city so he can ride his bicycle to work.
A person who rents an apartment is an example of a renter.
- a person who pays rent for the use of property
- an owner who rents out property
- One that receives payment in exchange for the use of one's property by another.
- One that pays rent for the use of another's property; a tenant.
- One who rents property from another.
- (law) One who owns or controls property and rents that property to another.
Technically, in common legal usage, the term should refer only to the party who owns the property and allows another to rent it. The party paying for the use of the property is properly termed a rentee. However, common usage is to use the term to refer to the party paying for use of the property, and this usage has seeped into legal parlance as well.
rent +"Ž -er
(third-person singular simple present renters, present participle rentering, simple past and past participle rentered)