Origin of restaurantFr, substantive use of present participle of restaurer: see restore
A busy restaurant.
The definition of restaurant is a place of business where a large selection of food and beverages can be selected from a menu.
Examples of restaurants include McDonald's, Pizza Hut and Olive Garden.
A place where meals are served to the public.
Origin of restaurantFrench restorative soup, restaurant from present participle of restaurer to restore from Old French restorer ; see restore .
- An eating establishment in which diners are served food at their tables.
- The ride to the restaurant was a quiet one.
- We dined at a small Mexican restaurant and spent the meal discussing general topics.
- At six o'clock we pulled off the highway and found a family style restaurant in a small Maryland town.
- He parked the car at the restaurant and turned to her.
- She'd left to clean out some restaurant for lunch.