- The definition of a canteen is a place where food is provided in a military camp, college or other organization, or a small container for holding drinking liquids.
- A cafeteria in college where all the kids go to eat is an example of a canteen.
- A small water bottle that you take camping with you so you will have a drink on your hike is an example of a canteen.
Students eating in the school canteen.
- Post Exchange
- a place outside a military camp where refreshments and entertainment are provided for members of the armed forces
- a place where refreshments can be obtained, as by employees or visitors
- such a place serving as a social center, as for teenagers
- a place where cooked food is dispensed to people in distress, as in a disaster area
- a small metal or plastic flask, usually encased in canvas, for carrying drinking water
- a military kit formerly used to carry cooking equipment
Origin of canteenFrench cantine ; from Italian cantina, wine cellar, vault ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps canto, corner: see cant
- a. A snack bar or small cafeteria, as on a military installation.b. A recreational facility, bar, or small general store formerly established for the patronage of soldiers.
- A recreation hall or social club where refreshments are available.
- A temporary or mobile eating place, especially one set up in an emergency.
- A usually metal container for carrying drinking water, as on a hike.
- a. A box with compartments for carrying cooking gear and eating utensils.b. A soldier's mess kit.
- Chiefly British A box used to store silverware.
Origin of canteenFrench cantine, from Italian cantina, wine cellar.
- a small cafeteria or snack bar, especially one in a military establishment, school, or place of work
- a temporary or mobile café used in an emergency or on a film location etc
- a box with compartments for storing eating utensils, silverware etc
- a military mess kit
- a water bottle used by a soldier or camper