Convection is defined as the act of moving, transmitting or conveying.noun
An example of convection is the moving of liquid.
The definition of convection is cooking faster, at a lower temperature and evenly.adjective
An example of convection used as an adjective is the phrase convection oven which means an oven that blows lower temperature air directly onto the food.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a transmitting or conveying
- the mass movement of parts of a fluid within the fluid because of differences in the density of different parts
- the transfer of heat by its absorption by a fluid at one point followed by motion of the fluid and rejection of the heat at another point
Origin: L convectio < pp. of convehere, to bring together < com-, together + vehere, to carry, bear
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or process of conveying; transmission.
- Physics a. Heat transfer in a gas or liquid by the circulation of currents from one region to another.b. Fluid motion caused by an external force such as gravity.
- Meteorology The transfer of heat or other atmospheric properties by massive motion within the atmosphere, especially by such motion directed upward.
Origin: Late Latin convectiō, convectiōn-, from convectus, past participle of convehere, to carry together : Latin com-, com- + Latin vehere, to carry; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- con·vecˈtion·al adjective
- con·vecˈtive adjective
- con·vecˈtive·ly adverb
Air heated by a space heater rises and is replaced by cool air, creating a convection current that circulates hot air throughout a room.
convection - Cultural Definition
The motion of warm material that rises, cools off, and sinks again, producing a continuous circulation of material and transfer of heat. Some examples of processes involving convection are boiling water, in which heat is transferred from the stove to the air; the circulation of the atmosphere of the Earth, transferring heat from the equator to the North Pole and South Pole; and plate tectonics, in which heat is transferred from the interior of the Earth to its surface.
convection - Medical Definition
- Heat transfer in a gas or liquid by the circulation of currents from one region to another.
- Fluid motion caused by an external force such as gravity.
convection - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.