- The definition of convection is cooking faster, at a lower temperature and evenly.
An example of convection used as an adjective is the phrase convection oven which means an oven that blows lower temperature air directly onto the food.
- Convection is defined as the act of moving, transmitting or conveying.
An example of convection is the moving of liquid.
convection definition by Webster's New World
- a transmitting or conveying
- the mass movement of parts of a fluid within the fluid because of differences in the density of different parts
- the transfer of heat by its absorption by a fluid at one point followed by motion of the fluid and rejection of the heat at another point
Origin: Classical Latin convectio ; from past participle of convehere, to bring together ; from com-, together plush vehere, to carry, bear
convection definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of conveying; transmission.
- Physics a. Heat transfer in a gas or liquid by the circulation of currents from one region to another.b. Fluid motion caused by an external force such as gravity.
- Meteorology The transfer of heat or other atmospheric properties by massive motion within the atmosphere, especially by such motion directed upward.
Origin: Late Latin convectiō, convectiōn-, from convectus, past participle of convehere, to carry together : Latin com-, com- + Latin vehere, to carry; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- con·vecˈtion·al adjective
- con·vecˈtive adjective
- con·vecˈtive·ly adverb
Air heated by a space heater rises and is replaced by cool air, creating a convection current that circulates hot air throughout a room.
convection - Cultural Definition
The motion of warm material that rises, cools off, and sinks again, producing a continuous circulation of material and transfer of heat. Some examples of processes involving convection are boiling water, in which heat is transferred from the stove to the air; the circulation of the atmosphere of the Earth, transferring heat from the equator to the North Pole and South Pole; and plate tectonics, in which heat is transferred from the interior of the Earth to its surface.
convection - Medical Definition
- Heat transfer in a gas or liquid by the circulation of currents from one region to another.
- Fluid motion caused by an external force such as gravity.
convection - Science Definition