The front grille of a vintage car.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an open grating of wrought iron, bronze, wood, etc., forming a screen to a door, window, or other opening, or used as a divider
- the metal bars in front of an automobile radiator
- Court Tennis a square opening high on the back wall of the court on the hazard side
Origin: Fr from Old French graïlle from Classical Latin craticula: see griddle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A grating of metal, wood, or another material used as a screen, divider, barrier, or decorative element, as in a window or on the front end of an automotive vehicle.
- An opening covered with a grating.
Origin: French, from Old French greille; see grill.