Barbecue means to grill food outside over a fire or live coals.verb
Preparing a hot dog on the grill is an example of barbecue.
The definition of barbecue is something used for cooking out-of-doors over coals or fire, or is food that has been cooked that way.noun
- A hibachi is an example of a barbecue.
- Beef brisket is an example of barbecue.
- A cookout is an example of a barbecue.
- Obsolete a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat
- a hog, steer, etc. broiled or roasted whole over an open fire, sometimes in an open pit
- any meat broiled over an open fire
- any meat prepared and broiled with a barbecue sauce
- ☆ a party or picnic at which such meat is served
- a restaurant that specializes in barbecuing
- an outdoor structure for cooking or, esp., roasting over an open fire
- a portable outdoor grill
Origin: AmSp barbacoa < Taino, lit., framework of sticks
- to prepare (meat) outdoors by roasting on a spit or broiling on a grill, usually over a charcoal fire
- to broil or cook (meat) with a highly seasoned sauce () containing vinegar, tomatoes, spices, etc.
- of or for a barbecue
- prepared by barbecuing: barbecue ribs
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A grill, pit, or outdoor fireplace for roasting meat.
- a. A whole animal carcass or section thereof roasted or broiled over an open fire or on a spit.b. A social gathering, usually held outdoors, at which food is cooked over an open flame.
Origin: American Spanish barbacoa, of Taino origin.