- The definition of barbecue is something used for cooking out-of-doors over coals or fire, or is food that has been cooked that way.
- A hibachi is an example of a barbecue.
- Beef brisket is an example of barbecue.
- A cookout is an example of a barbecue.
- Barbecue means to grill food outside over a fire or live coals.
Preparing a hot dog on the grill is an example of barbecue.
A young man cooking on a barbecue grill.
- Obsolete a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat
- a hog, steer, etc. broiled or roasted whole over an open fire, sometimes in an open pit
- any meat broiled over an open fire
- any meat prepared and broiled with a barbecue sauce
- ☆ a party or picnic at which such meat is served
- a restaurant that specializes in barbecuing
- an outdoor structure for cooking or, esp., roasting over an open fire
- a portable outdoor grill
Origin of barbecueAmerican Spanish barbacoa ; from Taino, literally , framework of sticks
transitive verbbarbecued, barbecuing
- to prepare (meat) outdoors by roasting on a spit or broiling on a grill, usually over a charcoal fire
- to broil or cook (meat) with a highly seasoned sauce () containing vinegar, tomatoes, spices, etc.
- of or for a barbecue
- prepared by barbecuing: barbecue ribs
- A grill, pit, or outdoor fireplace for roasting meat.
- a. A whole animal carcass or section thereof roasted or broiled over an open fire or on a spit.b. A social gathering, usually held outdoors, at which food is cooked over an open flame.
transitive verbbar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing, bar·be·cues
Origin of barbecueAmerican Spanish barbacoa, of Taíno origin.
- A meal or event highlighted by food cooked on a barbecue.
- We're having a barbecue on Saturday, and you're invited.
- A fireplace or pit for grilling food, typically used outdoors and traditionally employing hot charcoal as the heating medium.
- We cooked our food on the barbecue.
- (dated) A hog, ox, or other large animal roasted or broiled whole for a feast.
- A floor on which coffee beans are sun-dried.
(third-person singular simple present barbecues, present participle barbecuing, simple past and past participle barbecued)
- To cook food on a barbecue; to grill.