The definition of a boss is a person in control or who has authority over employees.noun
An example of a boss is your supervisor.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a person in authority over employees, as an employer, a manager, or a foreman
- a person who controls a political machine or organization, as in a countyoften political boss
Origin: Du baas, a master < MDu < ?
- to act as boss of
- Informal to order (a person) about; act bossy with
- Informal chief
- Slang excellent; fine
- a raised part or protruding ornament on a flat surface; a decorative knob, stud, etc.
- Archit. an ornamental projecting piece, as at the intersection of the ribs of an arched roof
- Geol. an exposed mass of intrusive igneous rock
- Mech. the enlarged part of a shaft
Origin: ME & OFr boce (Fr bosse), a hump, swelling, akin to It boccia, ball, bud
Origin: < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. An employer or a supervisor.b. One who makes decisions or exercises authority.
- A professional politician who controls a party or a political machine.
- To supervise or control. See Synonyms at supervise.
- To give orders to, especially in an arrogant or domineering manner: bossing us around.
Origin: Dutch baas, master.
- A circular protuberance or knoblike swelling, as on the horns of certain animals.
- A raised area used as ornamentation.
- Architecture A raised ornament, such as one at the intersection of the ribs in a vaulted roof.
- a. An enlarged part of a shaft to which another shaft is coupled or to which a wheel or gear is keyed.b. A hub, especially of a propeller.
Origin: Middle English boce, from Old French.
Origin: Perhaps ultimately from Latin bōs; see bovine.
boss - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
boss - Medical Definition
- A circumscribed rounded swelling; a protuberance.
- The prominence of a kyphosis or humpback.