- The definition of adorn means to decorate or add beauty to a person or thing.
Adding ornaments to a Christmas tree is an example of a way to adorn.
adorn definition by Webster's New World
- to be an ornament to; add beauty, splendor, or distinction to
- to put decorations on; ornament
Origin: Middle English adornen (altered after L) ; from Old French aourner ; from Classical Latin adornare ; from ad-, to plush ornare, to fit out: see ornament
adorn definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb a·dorned, a·dorn·ing, a·dorns
- To lend beauty to: “the pale mimosas that adorned the favorite promenade” (Ronald Firbank).
- To enhance or decorate with or as if with ornaments: “[He] requires the presence of titles to legitimate and adorn . . . his imperfect status” (Cynthia Ozick).
Origin: Middle English adornen, from Old French adourner, from Latin adōrnāre : ad-, ad- + ōrnāre, to decorate; see ar- in Indo-European roots.
- a·dornˈer noun