An embellishment of flowers on a table.
- An example of embellishment is fringe added to a skirt.
- An example of embellishment is the act of adding fringe to a skirt.
- An example of embellishment is a detail added to a story to make it more exciting.
- an embellishing or being embellished; ornamentation
- something that embellishes, as an ornament, a fictitious touch added to a factual account, a musical phrase, etc.
- The act of embellishing or the state of being embellished.
- Something that embellishes; a decoration.
- Music A note that embellishes a melody.
- An unnecessarily added touch, an ornamental addition, a flourish.
- 1811 Reflection had given calmness to her judgment, and sobered her own opinion of Willoughby's deserts; -- she wished, therefore, to declare only the simple truth, and lay open such facts as were really due to his character, without any embellishment of tenderness to lead the fancy astray. Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility, Section 3, Chapter 1.
embellish + -ment