A woman uses make up to enhance her eyes.
- An example of enhance is making the image in a photograph clearer.
- An example of enhance is a woman using make up to bring out her eyes.
- to make greater, as in cost, value, attractiveness, etc.; heighten; augment
- to improve the quality or condition of
- to improve electronically the quality or clarity of (a photograph or other image) as by means of a computer
Origin of enhanceMiddle English enhauncen ; from Anglo-French enhauncer ; from Old French enhaucier ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form inaltiare ; from in-, en- + an unverified form altiare, to raise ; from Classical Latin altus, high
transitive verben·hanced, en·hanc·ing, en·hanc·es
Origin of enhanceMiddle English enhauncen, from Anglo-Norman enhauncer, variant of Old French enhaucier, from Vulgar Latin *inaltiare, from Late Latin inaltare : Latin in-, causative pref.; see en–1 + Latin altus, high; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present enhances, present participle enhancing, simple past and past participle enhanced)