A woman uses make up to enhance her eyes.
- An example of enhance is making the image in a photograph clearer.
- An example of enhance is a woman using make up to bring out her eyes.
transitive verb-·hanced′, -·hanc′ing
- to make greater, as in cost, value, attractiveness, etc.; heighten; augment
- to improve the quality or condition of
- to improve electronically the quality or clarity of (a photograph or other image) as by means of a computer
Origin of enhanceMiddle English enhauncen from Anglo-French enhauncer from Old French enhaucier from Vulgar Latin an unverified form inaltiare from in-, en- + an unverified form altiare, to raise from Classical Latin altus, high
transitive verben·hanced, en·hanc·ing, en·hanc·es
Origin of enhanceMiddle English enhauncen from Anglo-Norman enhauncer variant of Old French enhaucier from Vulgar Latin inaltiāre from Late Latin inaltāre Latin in- causative pref. ; see en- 1. Latin altus high ; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present enhances, present participle enhancing, simple past and past participle enhanced)