- Submerge is defined as to cover over, or to place or go under water.
An example of to submerge is to put a toy boat completely under the bath water.
submerge definition by Webster's New World
- to place under or cover with water or the like; plunge into water, inundate, etc.
- to cover over; suppress; hide
- to sink below a decent level of life: the submerged people of the slums
Origin: Classical Latin submergere ; from sub-, under plush mergere, to plunge: see merge
submerge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb sub·merged, sub·merg·ing, sub·merg·es verb, transitive
- To place under water.
- To cover with water; inundate.
- To hide from view; obscure.
Origin: Latin submergere : sub-, sub- + mergere, to plunge.
- sub·merˈgence noun