- The definition of submerged is completely underwater, hidden or covered.
When a boat is 500 feet under the sea, this is an example of it being submerged.
submerged definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Botany Growing or remaining under water: submerged leaves.
- Living in poverty or misery.
- Having been hidden.
Variant of submerge
transitive verb submerged, submerging
- to place under or cover with water or the like; plunge into water, inundate, etc.
- to cover over; suppress; hide
- to sink below a decent level of life: the submerged people of the slums
Origin: Classical Latin submergere ; from sub-, under plush mergere, to plunge: see merge
to sink or plunge beneath the surface of water, etc.