A hydroplane racing boat.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a small, light motorboat with hydrofoils or with a flat bottom rising in steps to the stern so that it can skim along the water's surface at high speeds
- an attachment for an airplane that enables it to glide along on the water
- a horizontal rudder used to submerge or raise a submarine
Origin: hydro- plush plane
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- See seaplane.
- A motorboat designed so that the prow and much of the hull lift out of the water and skim the surface at high speeds.
- See hydrofoil.
- A horizontal rudder on a submarine.
- To drive or ride in a hydroplane.
- a. To skim along on the surface of the water.b. To be or go out of control by skimming along the surface of a wet road. Used of a motor vehicle.