- The definition of an egress is the way out or act of going out.
An example of egress is the exit at a movie theater.
The egress is in the back.
egress definition by Webster's New World
- the act of going out or forth; emergencealso egression
- the right to go out
- a way out; exit
Origin: Classical Latin egressus ; from past participle of egredi, to go out ; from e-, out plush gradi, to step, go: see grade
egress definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of coming or going out; emergence.
- The right to leave or go out: denied the refugees egress.
- A path or opening for going out; an exit.
- Astronomy The emergence of a celestial body from eclipse or occultation.
Origin: Latin ēgressus, from past participle of ēgredī, to go out : ē-, ex-, ex- + gradī, to go; see ghredh- in Indo-European roots.