- To emerge is defined as to become more well known or more important, or to come into view.
- An example of emerge is when a new actor gets discovered and becomes a famous movie star.
- An example of emerge is when the sun comes out from the clouds.
A swimmer emerges from the water.
emerge definition by Webster's New World
- to rise from or as from a surrounding fluid
- to come forth into view; become visible
- to become apparent or known
- to develop or evolve as something new, improved, etc.: a strong breed emerged
Origin: Classical Latin emergere ; from e-, out plush mergere, to dip, immerse: see merge
emerge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb e·merged, e·merg·ing, e·merg·es
- To rise from or as if from immersion: Sea mammals must emerge periodically to breathe.
- To come forth from obscurity: new leaders who may emerge.
- To become evident: The truth emerged at the inquest.
- To come into existence. See Synonyms at appear.
Origin: Latin ēmergere : ē-, ex-, ex- + mergere, to immerse.