- The definition of disappear is to no longer be able to be seen.
An example of disappear is when someone hides in a dark room.
- To disappear is defined as to no longer exist.
An example of disappear is what happens to an animal that goes extinct.
- to cease to be seen; go out of sight
- to cease being; go out of existence, use, etc.; become lost or extinct
Origin of disappearMiddle English disaperen: see dis- and amp; appear
verbdis·ap·peared, dis·ap·pear·ing, dis·ap·pears
- To pass out of sight; vanish: The moon disappeared behind the clouds.
- To cease to be seen; be missing or unfound: Her purse disappeared from her locker. The plane disappeared somewhere over the Pacific Ocean.
- To cease to exist: Dinosaurs disappeared at the end of the Cretaceous Period.
(third-person singular simple present disappears, present participle disappearing, simple past and past participle disappeared)
- (to vanish): appear