- To arrive is defined as to show up for something or to reach a destination.
An example of arriving is showing up to a party.
- The definition of arrive is when you become someone important or when you become someone or something you have always wanted to be.
An example of arrive is when you get your first starring part in a Broadway play after you have wanted to be an actress for years.
intransitive verbarrived, arriving
- to reach one's destination; come to a place
- to come: the time has arrived for action
- to attain success, fame, etc.: he has arrived professionally
Origin of arriveMiddle English ariven ; from Old French ariver ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form arripare, come to shore, land ; from Classical Latin ad-, to + ripa, shore
- to reach by traveling
- to reach by work, thinking, development, etc.
intransitive verbar·rived, ar·riv·ing, ar·rives
- To reach a destination.
- To come at length; take place: The day of reckoning has arrived.
- To achieve success or recognition: He had finally arrived as a designer.
Origin of arriveMiddle English ariven, from Old French ariver, from Vulgar Latin *arrīpāre, to reach the shore : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin rīpa, shore.
(third-person singular simple present arrives, present participle arriving, simple past and past participle arrived)