- The definition of attain is to gain or accomplish something with effort.
- Getting a PhD is an example of to attain.
- Finding peace through dedicated meditation is an example of attain.
- to gain through effort; accomplish; achieve
- to reach or come to; arrive at: he attained the age of ninety
Origin: Middle English attainen ; from Old French ataindre ; from Classical Latin attingere ; from ad-, to plush tangere, to touch: see tact
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb at·tained, at·tain·ing, at·tains verb, transitive
- To gain as an objective; achieve: attain a diploma by hard work.
- To arrive at, as by virtue of persistence or the passage of time. See Synonyms at reach.
Origin: Middle English atteignen, from Old French ataindre, ataign-, to reach to, from Vulgar Latin *attangere, from Latin attingere : ad-, ad- + tangere, to touch; see tag- in Indo-European roots.
- at·tainˌa·bilˈi·ty, at·tainˈa·ble·ness noun
- at·tainˈa·ble adjective