(third-person singular simple present occurs, present participle occurring, simple past and past participle occurred)
- To happen or take place.
- The liftoff will occur in exactly twelve seconds.
- To present or offer itself.
- I will write if the opportunity occurs.
- (impersonal) To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
- (sciences) To be present or found.
- The chemical monofluoroacetate occurs in all parts of Dichapetalum cymosum, and is responsible for its toxic effects.
Originally "meet, meet in argument", from Middle French occurrer, from Latin occurrÅ (“run to meet, run against, befall, present itself") from prefix ob- (“against") + verb currÅ (“run, hurry, move").