- Experience is defined as something that happens to someone.
An example of experience is the first day of high school.
- The definition of experience is to have something happen.
An example of experience is to have a first kiss.
experience definition by Webster's New World
- the act of living through an event or events; personal involvement in or observation of events as they occur
- anything observed or lived through: an experience he'll never forget
- all that has happened in one's life to date: not within his experience
- everything done or undergone by a group, people in general, etc.
- the effect on a person of anything or everything that has happened to that person; individual reaction to events, feelings, etc.
- activity that includes training, observation of practice, and personal participation
- the period of such activity
- knowledge, skill, or practice resulting from this
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin experientia, trial, proof, experiment ; from experiens, present participle of experiri, to try, test: see peril
experience definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The apprehension of an object, thought, or emotion through the senses or mind: a child's first experience of snow.
- a. Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience; a carpenter with experience in roof repair.b. The knowledge or skill so derived.
- a. An event or a series of events participated in or lived through.b. The totality of such events in the past of an individual or group.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin experientia, from experiēns, experient-, present participle of experīrī, to try; see per-3 in Indo-European roots.
- ex·peˈri·enc·er noun
experience - Medical Definition
- experience verb