- The definition of an encounter is a meeting, often an unexpected one.
An example of encounter is having an experience with spirits.
- Encounter is defined as to meet, especially unexpectedly.
An example of encounter is to come upon a deer in the woods.
An encounter between two dogs.
encounter definition by Webster's New World
- to meet unexpectedly; come upon
- to meet in conflict or battle
- to meet with; face (difficulties, trouble, etc.)
Origin: Middle English encontren ; from Old French encontrer ; from encontre, against ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form incontra ; from Classical Latin in, in plush contra, against
- a direct meeting, as in conflict or battle
- a meeting with another, esp. when unexpected or by chance
encounter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A meeting, especially one that is unplanned, unexpected, or brief: a chance encounter in the park.
- a. A hostile or adversarial confrontation; a contest: a tense naval encounter.b. An often violent meeting; a clash.
- To meet, especially unexpectedly; come upon: encountered an old friend on the street.
- To confront in battle or contention.
- To come up against: encounter numerous obstacles.
Origin: Middle English encountre, from Old French, from encontrer, to meet, from Late Latin incontrāre : Latin in-, in; see en-1 + Latin contrā, against; see kom in Indo-European roots.