- The definition of an encounter is a meeting, often an unexpected one.
An example of encounter is having an experience with spirits.
- Encounter is defined as to meet, especially unexpectedly.
An example of encounter is to come upon a deer in the woods.
An encounter between two dogs.
- to meet unexpectedly; come upon
- to meet in conflict or battle
- to meet with; face (difficulties, trouble, etc.)
Origin of encounterMiddle English encontren ; from Old French encontrer ; from encontre, against ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form incontra ; from Classical Latin in, in + contra, against
- a direct meeting, as in conflict or battle
- a meeting with another, esp. when unexpected or by chance
- A meeting, especially one that is unplanned, unexpected, or brief: a chance encounter in the park.
- A hostile or adversarial confrontation: a tense naval encounter.
verben·coun·tered, en·coun·ter·ing, en·coun·ters
- To meet, especially unexpectedly; come upon: encountered an old friend on the street.
- To confront in battle or competition: encountered last year's champion.
- To experience or undergo: We have encountered numerous obstacles.
Origin of encounterMiddle English encountre, from Old French, from encontrer, to meet, from Late Latin incontrāre : Latin in-, in; see en–1 + Latin contrā, against; see kom in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present encounters, present participle encountering, simple past and past participle encountered)