- the act of living through an event or events; personal involvement in or observation of events as they occur
- anything observed or lived through: an experience he'll never forget
- all that has happened in one's life to date: not within his experience
- everything done or undergone by a group, people in general, etc.
- the effect on a person of anything or everything that has happened to that person; individual reaction to events, feelings, etc.
- activity that includes training, observation of practice, and personal participation
- the period of such activity
- knowledge, skill, or practice resulting from this
Origin of experienceMiddle English from Old French from Classical Latin experientia, trial, proof, experiment from experiens, present participle of experiri, to try, test: see peril
transitive verb-·enced, -·enc·ing