To exist is defined as to be real, have life or be present.verb
An example of to exist is polar bears living in the Arctic Circle.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to have reality or actual being; be
- to occur or be present: the qualities that exist in a person
- to continue being; live: the refugees barely exist
Origin: Fr exister < L existere, exsistere, to come forth, stand forth < ex-, out + sistere, to cause to stand, set, place, caus. of stare, stand
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb ex·ist·ed, ex·ist·ing, ex·ists
- To have actual being; be real.
- To have life; live: one of the worst actors that ever existed.
- To live at a minimal level; subsist: barely enough income on which to exist.
- To continue to be; persist: old customs that still exist in rural areas.
- To be present under certain circumstances or in a specified place; occur: “Wealth and poverty exist in every demographic category” (Thomas G. Exter).
Origin: Latin existere, exsistere, to come forth, be manifest : ex-, ex- + sistere, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.