- To exist is defined as to be real, have life or be present.
An example of to exist is polar bears living in the Arctic Circle.
exist definition by Webster's New World
- to have reality or actual being; be
- to occur or be present: the qualities that exist in a person
- to continue being; live: the refugees barely exist
Origin: French exister ; from Classical Latin existere, exsistere, to come forth, stand forth ; from ex-, out plush sistere, to cause to stand, set, place, causative of stare, stand
exist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb ex·ist·ed, ex·ist·ing, ex·ists
- To have actual being; be real.
- To have life; live: one of the worst actors that ever existed.
- To live at a minimal level; subsist: barely enough income on which to exist.
- To continue to be; persist: old customs that still exist in rural areas.
- To be present under certain circumstances or in a specified place; occur: “Wealth and poverty exist in every demographic category” (Thomas G. Exter).
Origin: Latin existere, exsistere, to come forth, be manifest : ex-, ex- + sistere, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.