To exist is defined as to be real, have life or be present.
An example of to exist is polar bears living in the Arctic Circle.
- to have reality or actual being; be
- to occur or be present: the qualities that exist in a person
- to continue being; live: the refugees barely exist
Origin of existFrench exister from Classical Latin existere, exsistere, to come forth, stand forth from ex-, out + sistere, to cause to stand, set, place, causative of stare, stand
intransitive verbex·ist·ed, ex·ist·ing, ex·ists
- To have actual being; be real.
- To have life; live: one of the worst actors that ever existed.
- To live at a minimal level; subsist: barely enough income on which to exist.
- To continue to be; persist: old customs that still exist in rural areas.
- To be present under certain circumstances or in a specified place; occur: “Wealth and poverty exist in every demographic category” ( Thomas G. Exter )
Origin of existLatin existere, exsistere to come forth, be manifest ex- ex- sistere to stand ; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present exists, present participle existing, simple past and past participle existed)