- Survive is defined as to live beyond or remain alive in spite of something.
An example of survive is someone living through a major plane crash.
- to live or exist longer than or beyond the life or existence of; outlive
- to continue to live after or in spite of: to survive a wreck
Origin: Middle English surviven from Old French survivre from Classical Latin supervivere from super-, above (see super-) plush vivere, to live (see bio-)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives verb, intransitive
- To remain alive or in existence.
- To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere: families that were surviving in tents after the flood.
- To remain functional or usable: I dropped the radio, but it survived.
- To live longer than; outlive: She survived her husband by five years.
- To live, persist, or remain usable through: plants that can survive frosts; a clock that survived a fall.
- To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after: survived child abuse.
Origin: Middle English surviven, from Old French sourvivre, from Latin supervīvere : super-, super- + vīvere, to live; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
- sur·viˈvor noun