any case or covering for protecting an organism during the winter, specif.,
- a bud or bulb for protecting a plant
- a specially modified bud, as in some freshwater bryozoans, that can develop into a colony in the spring
- a structure in which a dormant animal passes the winter
Origin of hibernaculumL, winter residence from hibernare: see hibernate
nounpl. hi·ber·nac·u·la, Biology
- A protective case, covering, or structure, such as a plant bud, in which an organism remains dormant for the winter.
- The shelter of a hibernating animal.
Origin of hibernaculumLatin hībernāculum winter residence from hībernāre to winter from hībernus relating to winter ; see ghei- in Indo-European roots.