- The definition of vivid is something that is bright, intense or full of life.
An example of vivid is the imagination of a child.
Vivid is a child's imagination.
- full of life; vigorous; lively; striking: a vivid personality
- bright; intense; brilliant: said of colors, light, etc.
- brightly colored: a vivid tapestry
- forming clear or striking mental images; strong; active; daring: a vivid imagination
- clearly perceived by the mind, as a recollection
- bringing strikingly realistic or lifelike images to the mind: a vivid description
Origin of vividClassical Latin vividus, lively ; from vivere, to live: see bio-
- Perceived as bright and distinct; brilliant: a vivid star.
- a. Having intensely bright colors: a vivid tapestry.b. Having a very high degree of saturation: a vivid purple.
- Presented in clear and striking manner: a vivid account of the incident.
- Perceived or felt with the freshness of immediate experience: a vivid recollection of their childhood.
- Active in forming lifelike images: a vivid imagination.
Origin of vividLatin vīvidus, from vīvere, to live; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
- (New Zealand) A felt-tipped permanent marker.
(comparative more vivid, superlative most vivid)