- The definition of speaking is something used for talking and communicating.
An example of speaking is the voice you use when you give a lecture.
- Speaking is the act of talking.
- An example of speaking is when you are talking.
- An example of speaking is when you give a lecture in public.
speaking definition by Webster's New World
- that speaks or seems to speak; expressive; eloquent; vivid: a speaking likeness
- used in or for speech
- allowing or admitting of speech: within speaking range
- the act or art of a person who speaks
- that which is spoken; utterance; discourse
speaking definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Capable of speech.b. Involving speaking or talking: has a speaking part in the play.
- Expressive or telling; eloquent.
- True to life; lifelike: a speaking likeness.
speaking - Phrases/Idioms
on speaking terms
on speaking terms
- Friendly enough to exchange superficial remarks: We're on speaking terms with the new neighbors.
- Ready and willing to communicate; not alienated or estranged: on speaking terms again after their quarrel.
Variant of speak
- to utter words with the ordinary voice; talk
- to express or communicate opinions, feelings, ideas, etc. by or as by talking: speak in our behalf, actions speak louder than words
- to make a request or reservation (for): usually in the passive voice: a seat not yet spoken for
- to make a speech; deliver an address or lecture; discourse
- to be a spokesman (for)
- to talk with another or others; converse
- to make or give out sound, as a gun firing or a dog barking
Origin: Middle English speken ; from Old English specan, earlier sprecan, akin to German sprechen ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sp(h)er(e)-g-, to strew, sprinkle from source spark, Classical Latin spargere, to sprinkle: basic sense “to scatter (words)”
- to express or make known by or as by speaking
- to use or be able to use (a given language) in speaking
- to utter (words) orally
- Archaic to speak to; address
- Archaic to declare or show to be; reveal
- Naut. to hail (a ship)
- speakable adjective