- An example of a recitation is telling a policeman what happened at a crime scene one more time.
- An example of a recitation is a student saying a poem that they memorized as part of their classwork.
- An example of a recitation is the poem that each student memorized.
The definition of a recitation is the telling of details, or the act of saying something that’s been memorized out loud, or the thing that is read.
- a reciting, as of facts, events, etc.; recital
- a saying aloud in public of something memorized
- a piece of prose or verse memorized for this
- a reciting by pupils of answers to questions on a prepared lesson
- a class meeting or period in which this occurs
Origin of recitationClassical Latin recitatio
- a. The act of reciting memorized materials in a public performance.b. The material so presented.
- a. Oral delivery of prepared lessons by a pupil.b. The class period within which this delivery occurs.