- Dictation is defined as giving orders authoritatively, or saying or recording words with the intent that they will be written down later.
- Orders that need to be obeyed are an example of dictation.
- Making a recording on a tape recorder for your secretary to type later is an example of dictation.
dictation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the dictating of words for another to write down
- the words so spoken or read
- the giving of authoritative orders or commands
Origin: Late Latin dictatio: see dictate
dictation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or process of dictating material to another for transcription.b. The material so dictated.
- An authoritative command or order.