- The definition of a dictator is a ruler with total power or is someone who rules by force regardless of what others want or need.
An example of a dictator is someone who rules a country by force and who cares only about his own needs and not the desires of the people.
dictator definition by Webster's New World
- in ancient Rome, a magistrate with supreme authority, appointed in times of emergency
- a ruler with absolute power and authority, esp. one who exercises it tyrannically
- a person who orders others about domineeringly, or one whose pronouncements on some subject are meant to be taken as the final word
- a person who dictates words for another to write down
Origin: Middle English dictatour ; from Classical Latin dictator: see dictate
dictator definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An absolute ruler.b. A tyrant; a despot.
- An ancient Roman magistrate appointed temporarily to deal with an immediate crisis or emergency.
- One who dictates: These initials are those of the dictator of the letter.