commander[kə man′dər, -män′-]
commander definition by Webster's New World
- a person who commands; leader; specif.,
- the chief officer of a unit in certain societies and fraternal orders
- commanding officer
- a high-ranking member of an order of knighthood
- U.S. Navy an officer ranking above a lieutenant commander and below a captain
Origin: Middle English comaundour ; from Old French comandeor
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- commandership noun
commander definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person who commands, especially a commanding officer.
- a. Abbr. CDR A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above lieutenant commander and below captain.b. One who holds this rank.c. The chief commissioned officer of a military unit regardless of his or her rank.
- An officer in some knightly or fraternal orders.