- The definition of a captain is a leader.
- An example of a captain is the pilot on a airplane.
- An example of a captain is the head person on a volleyball team.
- Captain means to lead.
An example of captain is to drive a ship through a storm.
An airline pilot, or captain.
captain definition by Webster's New World
- a chief or leader: captains of industry
- an important military leader
- the head of a group or division; specif.,
- U.S. Mil. an officer ranking above a first lieutenant and below a major
- U.S. Navy an officer ranking above a commander and below a commodore
- the person in command of a ship
- the pilot of an airplane
- the spokesman for a team in certain sports
- ☆ a precinct commander in a police or fire department
- ☆ a district leader of a political party
- ☆ headwaiter
- ☆ bell captain
Origin: Middle English capitain ; from Old French capitaine ; from Late Latin capitaneus, chief ; from Classical Latin caput, head
captain definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Abbr. Capt. One who commands, leads, or guides others, especially:a. The officer in command of a ship, an aircraft, or a spacecraft.b. A precinct commander in a police or fire department, usually ranking above a lieutenant and below a chief.c. The designated leader of a team or crew in sports.
- a. Abbr. CPT or Capt or CAPT or Capt. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above first lieutenant and below major.b. Abbr. CAPT or Capt. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above commander and below commodore.c. One who holds the rank of captain.
- A figure in the forefront; a leader: a captain of industry.
- One who supervises or directs the work of others, especially:a. A district official for a political party.b. A restaurant employee who is in charge of the waiters and usually attends to table seating.c. A bell captain.
Origin: Middle English capitain, from Old French, from Late Latin capitāneus, chief, from Latin caput, capit-, head; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.
- capˈtain·cy, capˈtain·shipˌ noun