- The skipper is the captain of a ship.
The man who is the captain on your yacht is an example of the skipper.
skipper definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing that skips
- any of a family (Hesperiidae) of mostly small, heavy-bodied butterflies, having threadlike antennae usually ending in a hook, and characterized by short, erratic bursts of flight
- any skipping insect
- the captain of a ship, esp. of a small ship or boat
- any leader, director, or captain
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle Dutch schipper ; from schip, a ship
skipper definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Nautical The master of a ship.
- A coach, director, or other leader.
Origin: Middle English, from Middle Dutch, from scip, ship.
- One that skips.
- Any of numerous butterflies of the families Hesperiidae and Megathymidae, having a hairy mothlike body, hooked tips on the antennae, and a darting flight pattern.
- Any of several marine fishes that often leap above water, especially the saury Cololabis saira of Pacific waters.