- a Muslim ruler
- [S-] the former monarch of Turkey
Origin of sultanFrench from Arabic sul??n, ruler, prince, origin, originally , dominion
- A ruler of a Muslim country, especially of the former Ottoman Empire.
- A powerful person: a sultan of vice and corruption.
Origin of sultanFrench from Old French ruler of Turkey from Turkish from Arabic sul&tlowdot;ān from Aramaic šul&tlowdot;ānā ruler from šəla&tlowdot; to rule šl&tlowdot;
- Originally, a secular office, formally subordinate to -, but de facto the power behind the throne of the (theoretically universal) caliph.
- A hereditary ruler in various Muslim states (sultanate), varying from petty principalities (as in Indonesia and in Yemen), often vassal of a greater ruler, to independent realms, such as Oman, Brunei, or an empire such as the Turkish Ottoman Empire.
- (card games) A variant of solitaire, played with two decks of cards.
- A breed of chicken originating in Turkey, kept primarily in gardens for ornamental reasons. See: sultan (chicken)