(born Salah-ad-Din Yusuf ibn-Ayyub) 1137-93; sultan of Egypt & Syria (1174-93): recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders (1187)
Full name Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn-Ayyub. 1137?-1193
Sultan of Egypt and Syria who captured (1187) Jerusalem and defended it during the Third Crusade (1189-1192).
- Guy was a brave if not a particularly able knight; and his instant attack on Acre after his release by Saladin shows that he had the sentiment de ses devoirs.
- They resulted in heavy Christian losses, the death of Shirkuh and the appointment of Saladin as vizir.
- He acted as regent in 1183, but he showed some incapacity in the struggle with Saladin, and was deprived of all right of succession.
- It was taken by Saladin in 1187.
- Just as the latter afterwards makes Nathan the Wise and Saladin meet over the chess-board, so did Lessing and Mendelssohn actually come together as lovers of the game.