- The definition of knead is to work or massage something with your hands, such as to work dough to make bread.
When you work flour into bread dough with your hands to make bread, this is an example of knead.
A baker kneading dough.
knead definition by Webster's New World
- to mix and work (dough, clay, etc.) into a pliable mass by folding over, pressing, and squeezing, usually with the hands
- to press, rub, or squeeze with the hands; massage
- to make or form by or as if by kneading
Origin: Middle English kneden ; from Old English cnedan, akin to German kneten ; from Indo-European an unverified form gnet-, to press together ; from base an unverified form gen-, to form into a ball, pinch, compress from source knot, knob
- kneader noun
knead definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb knead·ed, knead·ing, kneads
- To mix and work into a uniform mass, as by folding, pressing, and stretching with the hands: kneading dough.
- To make or shape by or as if by folding, pressing, and stretching with the hands.
- To squeeze, press, or roll with the hands, as in massaging: kneading a painful calf muscle.
Origin: Middle English kneden, from Old English cnedan.
- kneadˈer noun