- The definition of masticate is to chew, or to grind something up.
- An example of masticate is to chew up a gummy bear.
- An example of masticate is to grind up paper into a pulp.
- to chew up (food, etc.)
- to grind, cut, or knead (rubber, etc.) to a pulp
Origin: from Late Latin masticatus, past participle of masticare, to chew from Glassical Greek mastichan, to grind the teeth, gnash from mastax, a mouth, morsel from Indo-European base an unverified form menth-, to chew, mouth from source mouth, Classical Latin mandere, to chew
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb mas·ti·cat·ed, mas·ti·cat·ing, mas·ti·cates verb, transitive
- To chew (food).
- To grind and knead (rubber, for example) into a pulp.
Origin: Late Latin masticāre, masticāt-, to masticate, from Greek mastikhān, to grind the teeth.
- masˌti·caˈtion noun
- masˈti·caˌtor noun
masticate - Medical Definition
- mastication noun