A couple enjoying a massage.
- The definition of a massage is a therapy where a person rubs the muscles of another person to stimulate circulation and relieve tension.
An example of a massage is a Swedish massage.
- Massage is defined as to rub or knead with the hands, or to manipulate or slightly change the way something will be seen to achieve a different result.
- An example of massage is to rub someone’s shoulders when they are anxious.
- An example of massage is to change the numbers in an annual report to make a business appear to be doing better than it actually is.
Origin of massageFrench from masser, to massage from Arabic massa, to touch
transitive verb-·saged′, -·sag′ing
- to give a massage to
- Informal to alter or manipulate (data, ideas, etc.) so as to obtain a desired result: the PR department massaged the actor's bio
- a. The therapeutic manipulation of body tissues by a trained practitioner, as by systematic stroking, kneading, or application of pressure, to effect a beneficial physiological response such as pain reduction or improved circulation.b. An act or instance of the therapeutic manipulation of body tissues. Also called therapeutic massage .
- a. The rubbing or kneading of parts of the body to relax the muscles, aid circulation, or provide sensual pleasure.b. An act or instance of such rubbing or kneading.
- a. The manipulation of the genitals or other body tissues for sexual arousal; erotic massage.b. An act or instance of erotic massage.c. Illicit sexual services provided under the guise of therapeutic massage.
transitive verbmas·saged, mas·sag·ing, mas·sag·es
- To give a massage to.
- To treat by means of a massage.
- To coddle or cajole.
- To manipulate (data, for example): Pollsters massaged the numbers to favor their candidate.
Origin of massageFrench from masser to massage from Arabic masaha to stroke, anoint mšh or massa to touch mšš
(third-person singular simple present massages, present participle massaging, simple past and past participle massaged)
massage - Computer Definition
To process data.