Origin of manipulationFrench from manipuler, to manipulate from manipule, pharmacist's term for a handful, origin, originally , a bundle of herbs from Classical Latin manipulus: see maniple
An example of manipulation is what is being done by a talking car salesman who convinces you to buy a car.
- a. The act or practice of manipulating.b. The state of being manipulated.
- Shrewd or devious management, especially for one's own advantage.
Origin of manipulationFrench from Spanish manipulación manipulation (originally of implements and substances in alchemical procedures) from Latin manipulus sheaf, handful ; see maniple .
- The practice of manipulating or the state of being manipulated.
- The dealer's manipulations could have removed cards from the deck.
- The skillful use of the hands in, for example, chiropractic.
- After a few minutes of manipulation each week, she obtained days of relief from her neck pain.
- The management of some situation, especially for one’s own advantage.
- He found that the new manager was known for his Machiavellian manipulations in his last two positions.
- The usage of psychological influence over a person or situation to gain an outcome.
- The counselor was able to reach the disturbed teen through positive psychological manipulation.
manipulation - Investment & Finance Definition
The intentional deception of investors by controlling or artificially affecting the market for a secu-rity. Manipulation can involve a number of techniques to affect either the supply or demand of a stock. Traders might spread false or misleading information about a company; improperly limit the number of publicly-available shares; or rig quotes, prices, or trades to create a false or deceptive picture of the demand for a security.
- Surely Alex wasn't blind to the manipulation going on with intent to keep him in Texas.
- On many occasions, she'd seen the duplicity and cold manipulation he'd spoken of.
- It operates on manipulation of brain waves but only on highly intelligent individuals.
- He wouldn't respond to her mind manipulation attempts, and he was able to control Jonny.
- If Gabriel wasn't immune to the mind manipulation magic, he suspected Andre would be using it on him right now.