- the act or an instance of touching, moving, etc. with the hands
- the process of packing and sending merchandise to a customer: a fee for shipping and handling
- the way in which something is done or someone is treated: a temperamental artist requires special handling
- A touching, feeling, or manipulating with the hands.
- The process of packing and distributing merchandise: a charge for shipping and handling.
- The way in which something is handled or taken care of: a situation that required delicate handling.
- The way in which a presentation, especially an artistic or theatrical work, is treated.
From Middle English handlinge, hondlunge, from Old English handlung (“handling"), equivalent to handle +"Ž -ing. Cognate with Dutch handeling (“trade, operation, action"), German Handlung (“act, action"), Swedish handling (“act, deed, action").
- Present participle of handle.